Thursday, October 6, 2011

Challenge # 3: Blue Blood Special Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Custard


Have you forgotten about me? I promise I haven't forgotten about you. Things have been crazy here in Braeby-land, but don't worry, cupcakes are still being made whenever I get the chance. 
The challenge has not been forgotten.
Back in the summer, I went to my boyfriend's family gathering and thought it would be nice to take some cupcakes with me. Of course, out came my favorite cupcake book, The Icing On The Cupcake, and into it's pages I dove looking for the perfect recipe for a family BBQ.
After much deliberation, I decided on Blue Blood Special Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Custard. That's a mouthful, isn't it?

1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, room tempurature
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp finely ground salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups blueberries




Preheat oven to 375'. Place 12 paper liners into cupcake tray. Cream sugar and vegetable oil with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.


Add eggs one at a time and mix until blended. 
Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
Alternating between flour mixture and milk, add them to batter. Start and end with flour mixture.
Mash 1/2 cup of blueberries. Fold them into the batter. Gently fold in the rest of the blueberries.


Pour batter into the paper liners and fill to the top.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.


Cool for 5 minutes and then place on baking rack.
(I know, I know, I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I usually do. Sorry about that)

Now, onto the lemon curd.

zest of 2 lemons *
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter

*I would use less zest next time, it was a bit intense.

Place all your ingredients in a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler (which I don't), place all ingredients into a temperature safe bowl. Place the bowl in a saucepan with 2 inches of water in the bottom.


Bring the water to a boil.
Stir ingredients until they thicken into a custard.


Place the lemon curd in the fridge to cool for 2 hours.
Frost cupcakes.


They don't look like much, but they sure were tasty! When we got them to the party, they were received so well that people were gone in 5 minutes! I will definitely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment