Thursday, October 6, 2011

Challenge #5: Baby, I Don't Love You Cupcakes


I was in my hometown of Lindsay last weekend for, not only our annual family weekend, but also for my Mom's 60th birthday. I brought The Icing On The Cupcake with me figuring I could let my Mon choose what cupcakes she would like me to bake, but also continue on with the challenge at hand.
Despite the name, my Mom chose Baby, I don't Love you Cupcakes, which turned out to be the taste of Fall that we were looking for.

1 egg, room tempurature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp finely ground sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup water
2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp potato (corn) starch

Preheat the oven to 325'. Place 12 paper liners into cupcake trays.
Whisk together oil sugar and molasses. 


Add eggs and mix until smooth. Stir in ginger


In a separate bowl combine flour, cinnamon, salt, potato starch and cloves

Add to the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
Bring water to a boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (I swear there's baking soda in this picture, you just can't see it!)


Whisk the hot water into the batter until combined.
Pour into paper liners. Fill 3/4 of the way to the top. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes and then place on baking rack.


These smelled so good coming out of the oven! Just like freshly baked gingerbread! YUM!
Now, on to the Orange Flower Cream

1 pint whipping cream
1 tsp orange flower water
1 tbsp powdered sugar
pinch of cream of tarter

In a chilled bowl mix whipping cream with the orange flower water. Now I couldn't find orange flower water, so I opted to use orange oil. (I also added in some orange food colouring to give it a bit of a tint.
Add the sugar and cream of tarter gradually. Beat with an electric mixer until stiff. Frost cooled cupcakes.


The cream turned out to be orange whip cream which was delicious, but hard to frost, which is why they don't look like much.  But they were damn good! So good in fact, that the cupcakes for our trip didn't even last that long! I had to make more the next day!
If you are going to try out this recipe, I would suggest making at least a double batch! I know I will next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment