Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Challenge #8: Pining For The Forbidden Pinapple Cupcakes


Do you ever get a craving for something and you just need to have it? This was how I felt yesterday when I was planning a small dinner party. I suddenly got a hankering for pineapple. I didn't know if our guests even liked pineapple, so I texted my friend Em and asked her. When I got an enthusiastic YES back, I knew I was good to go. Homemade pizza was on the menu (will blog about in the future, I promise!) One Vegetarian, with mushrooms, red peppers, tomato, onion and lots of pineapple; and the other with pepperoni, hot peppers and pineapple! Yum! Plus, I knew the perfect thing to round off the evening with. I went to my book, The Icing On The Cupcake, and picked out Pining For The Forbidden Pineapple Cupcakes for this challenge.

6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temerature
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp pineapple extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp finely ground salt
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple

Preheat the oven to 350'. Place 12 paper liners into cupcake trays.
Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
 
 
 Add the eggs and beat another 2 minutes.
Add vanilla and pineapple extract. 
Now I couldn't actually find pineapple extract, which was a shame, because I think it really would've taken this recipe just one step further. I tried using pineapple juice instead, but it really didn't have the same effect.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.


Add to batter.
Whip cream in cold bowl to soft peaks, fold into batter.


Drain pineapple. Make sure to remove as much liquid as possible. I put mine into my sifter. It worked perfectly.
Gently fold into batter. Pour into paper liners. Fill 3/4 of the way to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and then place on baking rack.


Frosting

1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Cream the powdered sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until smooth, about 3-5 minutes.
Add milk, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Beat until smooth. If frosting is thin, let sit for a few minutes. It will thicken. If too thick, add more milk.


As you can see, it's more of a glaze then a traditional frosting. Next time I make this, I might make a simple butter cream instead, but that's just me.
Dunk the top half of the cupcake into the frosting to coat, then place on a rack.


I chose to garnish mine with candied pineapple that I found at the bulk food store.


All and all, they were pretty good, if a little plain. I will definitely make sure I have pineapple extract before trying these again. Everyone loved them though, so I guess that makes them a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment